If that carrot doesn’t look mighty huge and impressive… it’s because it’s not. The carrots measured a mere four or five inches before the roots eventually tailed off, probably looking for more ground that my itty bitty pot couldn’t offer.
I’m still not deterred from gardening! In fact, we already pulled a few from the soil and cooked a shrimp stir-fry as well as baked a dozen carrot cupcakes—my first time baking with LO, believe it or not. More importantly, LO was able to witness carrots being pulled from the ground, so hopefully he understands the process of seed-to-vegetable and that food doesn’t just appear magically at the table.
In fact, I’m so undeterred, I’m on to my next experiment: zucchini. Ambitious? Yes. But according to the lady at the garden center (who I hope wasn’t just trying to sell me a packet of seeds), zucchini should be able to grow in my pot.
This time I’ll make sure to add a ton of soil. Hopefully the zucchini will have better luck than the carrots. And hey, I can always hide my mistakes in zucchini bread.
In the meantime, check out some links I’ve found throughout the web:
- Ted Talks features Jeffrey Kluger who discusses The sibling bond. According to the site, Kluger “…explores the profound life-long bond between brothers and sisters, and the influence of birth order, favoritism and sibling rivalry.”
- Next, The Huffington Post says Don’t Call Him Mr. Mom: The Rise/Reign of the Stay-at-Home Dad. The article discusses the effects of stay-at-home dads, their impact on family and marriage, and how fathers views have changed regarding family life.
- Finally, The New York Times describes a scene with A child, a gadget, a guest and a question of etiquette. The author asks what you would do if a child’s friend was absorbed with a gadget—an iPad, for instance—the entire time the families were together. Are they interacting with one another? How do you encourage turn-taking? [Edit: I just fixed the link to this article.]
Any tips you can share with yours truly for growing zucchini? What’s growing in your garden right now?
Latest posts by Nina (see all)
- When Does Caring for Twins Get Easier? - July 5, 2015
- Coping Methods for Cholestasis of Pregnancy and Other Itch-Related Complications - July 2, 2015
- Bath Time Comfort with Aden+Anais Toddler Towels - July 1, 2015