Having trouble getting the kids sleep? Going to bed can be a smooth routine with the help of these favorite children’s bedtime story books.
It’s the question I get more than any other. The topic everyone has battled with at some point or another. Bedtime. Namely, how can we get our kids to fall asleep / stay asleep / not be so scared about sleep.
We can sleep train and coerce and give rewards as a way to convince our kids to go to sleep. But one of the best ways to overcome this challenge is through children’s books about bedtime.
With books, kids can relate to the characters. They realize they’re not so alone, and their feelings validated. They’re also able to discuss and define emotions they may not know how to voice, or even know to exist.
And books are fun! They’re a great way to discuss bedtime challenges in a relaxed, natural manner.
Below are several favorites. Some deal with resistance to bedtime, while others help transition our kids to sleep.
21 children’s bedtime story books
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links, which means I will earn a commission—at no extra cost to you—if you make a purchase.
(Thanks Penguin Random House for my copy!)
Here are more reader suggestions for children’s bedtime books:
- Ten, Nine, Eight by Molly Bang
- Pajama Time! by Sandra Boynton
- Daddy’s Lullaby by Tony Bradman
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- Kiss Good Night by Amy Hest
- The Night Night Book by Marianne Richmond
- A Book of Sleep by Il Sung Na
- Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker
- Sam Sheep Can’t Sleep by Phil Roxbee Cox
- Can’t Sleep Without Sheep by Susanna Leonard Hill
- Steam Train, Dream Train by Sherri Duskey Rinker
And here are more tips about sleep:
- How to End Your Child’s Nighttime Fears
- 6 Tips to Help Your Child Sleep in Her Own Bed
- Bedtime Battles: How to Come Out on the Winning End
- Help Your Child Sleep Through the Night
- Why I Regret Rocking My Baby To Sleep
- How Late Is Too Late for Your Child’s Bedtime?
Want even more book selections? Join my newsletter and download my Read Aloud Book List! You’ll get hundreds of favorite selections to read aloud with your kids. Get it below—at no cost to you:
Tell me in the comments: What are your favorite children’s bedtime story books?
Get time management strategies, FREE!
Do you feel overwhelmed balancing the needs of your family and your role as a mom? Struggling to find the time to get everything done? Get organized with a FREE copy of my ebook, Time Management Strategies for the Overwhelmed Mom!