Help your child learn about their world, the differences between cities and states, and how to read a map with these 9 geography books for kids.
- Most primary school students don’t understand the differences between a city, state and country.
- Many kindergarten through second graders refer to California as a country rather than a state.
- Seven out of 10 of these same kids think the words ‘country’ and ‘state’ are interchangeable.
Introducing kids to geography and our globe is a fantastic way to learn about where we live. For instance, I explained that the Earth consists of seven continents. And that most of those continents are further segmented into countries. From there, countries divide into states, cities, towns, right down to our own home.
My husband and I hung a large world map in the kids room that they love pointing to and discussing with us. We don’t have a globe yet, though I imagine that will be one of our future purchases.
What can you teach your child about geography? Consider these objectives and goals:
- Identify your child’s city, state and country on a world map.
- Tell the difference between a map and a globe.
- Introduce scale, a map key, symbols and other important features on a map.
- Learn about different cultures (along with your own).
- Define these vocabulary words: country, state, city, culture, globe, map, geography and continent.
I also borrowed a ton of library books about geography. These books have helped my five-year-old understand the concept of maps and globes. He also learned how to locate different countries, oceans and major landmarks. And more importantly, he reads about different people who live in places far away from us.
Geography books for kids
These are my affiliate links. Thank you for your support!
Want even more book ideas? Download my FREE Read Aloud Book List! You’ll get hundreds of favorite selections to read aloud with your kids. Get it below:
Have you read these geography books for kids? Which one of these look most interesting? Let me know in the comments!
Get time management strategies, FREE!
Do you feel overwhelmed balancing the needs of your family and your role as a mom? Struggling to find the time to get everything done? Get organized with a FREE copy of my ebook, Time Management Strategies for the Overwhelmed Mom!