Looking for an old fashioned, classic yet cool name for your baby boy? Check out this ultimate list of 50 classic baby names for boys for inspiration!
With three boys and no girls, my husband and I have had our share of finding names for boys.
We didn’t name our boys after anyone we knew, or even after my husband. And while my husband has no middle name, we wanted our boys to have one to counter our common last name.
That’s a total of six boy names altogether!
We also had one criteria for each name: They had to be timeless. As cute as the names I hear these days are, I also knew many can be dated. Just look at how we no longer names our babies with the same ones that had been trendy during our generation.
We looked instead to older, classic baby names for boys, the kinds that have been around for at least a hundred years. At the same time, we also wanted the names to have a familiar ring, so that it wasn’t so old that it, too, was dated.
Classic baby names for boys
If you’re looking for timeless, old fashioned boy names that still sound cool, look no further. I compiled several of them and their origins and meanings below:
- Alexander: Greek, “defender of men.”
- Andrew: Greek, “strong,” “manly,” “courageous.”
- Anthony: Latin, “priceless”
- Benjamin: Hebrew, “son of the south”
- Caleb: Hebrew, “dog”
- Charles: German, “man,” “strong”
- Christopher: Greek, “Christ-bearer”
- Daniel: Hebrew, “God is my judge”
- David: Hebrew, “beloved”
- Douglas: Scottish, “dark water”
- Edward: English, “guardian of prosperity”
- Ernest: Teutonic, “earnest”
- Ethan: Hebrew, “strong,” “safe,” “firm”
- Francis: Latin, “French”
- Frederick: Teutonic, “peace”
- Gabriel: Hebrew, “devoted to God,” “a hero of God,” “God is my strength”
- Geoffrey: English, “heavenly place”
- George: Greek, “tiller of the soil,” “farmer”
- Henry: German, “ruler of the household”
- Ian: Scottish, “God is gracious”
- Jack: English, a nickname for John or James
- Jacob: Hebrew, “supplanter”
- James: Hebrew, derived from Jacob
- John: Hebrew, “God is gracious”
- Jonathan: Hebrew, “God gives”
- Joseph: Hebrew, “God shall add another son”
- Julian: Latin, “bearded,” “father of the skies”
- Kenneth: Gaelic, “handsome”
- Lucas: Latin, “light-giving,” “illumination”
- Liam: Irish, “strong-willed warrior and protector”
- Mark: Latin, “warlike”
- Matthew: Hebrew, “gift from God”
- Michael: Hebrew, “ho is like God”
- Nathan: Hebrew, “He gave”
- Nicholas: Greek, “victory of the people”
- Noah: Hebrew, “rest and comfort”
- Oliver: Latin, “olive tree”
- Patrick: Latin, “nobleman”
- Paul: Latin, “small”
- Peter: Greek, “a rock”
- Phillip: Greek, “loving”
- Raymond: English, “mighty protector”
- Richard: German, “strong ruler”
- Robert: English, “bright fame”
- Sebastian: Latin, “venerable,” “revered”
- Thomas: Hebrew, “a twin”
- Timothy: Greek, “honoring God”
- Vincent: Latin, “conqueror,” “victor”
- William: German, “strong-willed warrior”
- Wyatt: Old English, “wood,” “wide”
Source of meanings: Baby Center
Picking baby names is just one of the many tasks you need to do during pregnancy. Need a checklist of all the things to get done before the baby is born? Download my FREE printable checklist below:
My husband and I finally chose their names, suggesting one after another until the final ones emerged victorious above the rest. We checked how the initials would look and made sure they felt comfortable saying over and over.
After all, these are the names your child will carry with him the rest of his life. With this list of classic baby names for boys, you’ll also know they’ll stand the test of time.
Get more tips:
- How to Keep Up at Work During Pregnancy
- 10 Baby Items You Don’t Really Need
- Surviving the First Trimester when You Have No Idea Where to Start
- When You Feel Guilty about Adding to the Family
- 9 Things to Do Before the Baby Is Born
Tell me in the comments: What are your top contenders for boy names? What made you decide on the names for your kids?
FREE Feeding and Diaper Tracker
Keeping track of all your baby's latest feedings and diaper changes can feel overwhelming. Get a convenient way to track feeding and diaper times with my FREE printable tracker!