Looking for an old fashioned, classic yet cool name for your baby boy? Check out 50 classic baby boy names that are still cool!
With three boys and no girls, my husband and I have had our share of finding names for boys.
We didn’t name our boys after anyone we knew, or even after my husband. And while my husband has no middle name, we wanted our boys to have one to counter our common last name.
That’s a total of six boy names altogether!
We also had one criteria for each name: They had to be timeless. As cute as the names I hear these days are, I also knew many can be dated. Just look at how we no longer names our babies with the same ones that had been trendy during our generation.
We looked instead to vintage boy names, the kinds that have been around for at least a hundred years. At the same time, we also wanted the names to have a familiar ring, so that it wasn’t so old that it, too, was dated.
The kind of name you can’t wait to write in their baby book (affiliate link).
Classic baby boy names that are still cool
If you’re looking for timeless baby names that still sound cool, look no further. I compiled several of them and their origins and meanings below:
- Alexander: Greek, “defender of men.”
- Andrew: Greek, “strong,” “manly,” “courageous.”
- Anthony: Latin, “priceless”
- Benjamin: Hebrew, “son of the south”
- Caleb: Hebrew, “dog”
- Charles: German, “man,” “strong”
- Christopher: Greek, “Christ-bearer”
- Daniel: Hebrew, “God is my judge”
- David: Hebrew, “beloved”
- Douglas: Scottish, “dark water”
- Edward: English, “guardian of prosperity”
- Ernest: Teutonic, “earnest”
- Ethan: Hebrew, “strong,” “safe,” “firm”
- Francis: Latin, “French”
- Frederick: Teutonic, “peace”
- Gabriel: Hebrew, “devoted to God,” “a hero of God,” “God is my strength”
- Geoffrey: English, “heavenly place”
- George: Greek, “tiller of the soil,” “farmer”
- Henry: German, “ruler of the household”
- Ian: Scottish, “God is gracious”
- Jack: English, a nickname for John or James
- Jacob: Hebrew, “supplanter”
- James: Hebrew, derived from Jacob
- John: Hebrew, “God is gracious”
- Jonathan: Hebrew, “God gives”
- Joseph: Hebrew, “God shall add another son”
- Julian: Latin, “bearded,” “father of the skies”
- Kenneth: Gaelic, “handsome”
- Lucas: Latin, “light-giving,” “illumination”
- Liam: Irish, “strong-willed warrior and protector”
- Mark: Latin, “warlike”
- Matthew: Hebrew, “gift from God”
- Michael: Hebrew, “ho is like God”
- Nathan: Hebrew, “He gave”
- Nicholas: Greek, “victory of the people”
- Noah: Hebrew, “rest and comfort”
- Oliver: Latin, “olive tree”
- Patrick: Latin, “nobleman”
- Paul: Latin, “small”
- Peter: Greek, “a rock”
- Phillip: Greek, “loving”
- Raymond: English, “mighty protector”
- Richard: German, “strong ruler”
- Robert: English, “bright fame”
- Sebastian: Latin, “venerable,” “revered”
- Thomas: Hebrew, “a twin”
- Timothy: Greek, “honoring God”
- Vincent: Latin, “conqueror,” “victor”
- William: German, “strong-willed warrior”
- Wyatt: Old English, “wood,” “wide”
Source of meanings: Baby Center
Picking baby names is just one of the many tasks you need to do during pregnancy. Need a checklist of all the things to get done before the baby is born? Join my newsletter and download my printable checklist below—at no cost to you:
And take a look at the video below where I run through the items on the to-do list:
My husband and I finally chose their names, suggesting one after another until the final ones emerged victorious above the rest. We checked how the initials would look and made sure they felt comfortable saying over and over.
After all, these are the names your child will carry with him the rest of his life. With this list of classic baby names for boys, you’ll also know they’ll stand the test of time.
Feeling overwhelmed with everything you still have to do to get ready for the baby? Grab my Baby Prep Workbook, a comprehensive collection of checklists, templates, and practical information you don’t find anywhere else.
The workbook has already helped hundreds of expecting moms like you be better prepared during pregnancy. Imagine how you’re going to feel when you can save yourself a ton of time (and stress!) and avoid scrambling around last minute or missing important deadlines and tasks.
Don’t wait any longer—grab your copy of the Baby Prep Workbook before the baby arrives:
Tell me in the comments: What are your favorite classic baby boy names?
FREE Feeding and Diaper Tracker
Keeping track of all your baby's latest feedings and diaper changes can feel overwhelming. Get a convenient way to track feeding and diaper times with my FREE printable tracker!