Looking for an old fashioned, classic yet cool name for your baby boy? Check out 50 classic boy names for babies that are still cool!
With three boys and no girls, my husband and I have had our share of finding names for boys.
We didn’t name our boys after anyone we knew, or even after my husband. And while my husband has no middle name, we wanted our boys to have one to counter our common last name.
That’s a total of six boy names altogether!
We also had one criteria for each name: They had to be timeless. As cute as the names I hear these days are, I also knew many can be dated. Just look at how we no longer names our babies with the same ones that had been trendy during our generation.
We looked instead to vintage boy names, the kinds that have been around for at least a hundred years. At the same time, we also wanted the names to have a familiar ring, so that it wasn’t so old that it, too, was dated.
The kind of name you can’t wait to write in their baby book.
Classic boy names that are still cool
If you’re looking for timeless baby names that still sound cool, look no further. I compiled several of them and their origins and meanings below:
- Alexander: Greek, “defender of men.” Nickname: Alex
- Andrew: Greek, “strong,” “manly,” “courageous.” Nickname: Andy
- Anthony: Latin, “priceless” Nickname: Tony
- Benjamin: Hebrew, “son of the south.” Nickname: Ben
- Caleb: Hebrew, “dog”
- Charles: German, “man,” “strong.” Nickname: Charlie
- Christopher: Greek, “Christ-bearer.” Nickname: Chris
- Daniel: Hebrew, “God is my judge.” Nickname: Danny
- David: Hebrew, “beloved.” Nickname: Dave
- Douglas: Scottish, “dark water.” Nickname: Doug
- Edward: English, “guardian of prosperity.” Nickname: Eddie
- Ernest: Teutonic, “earnest.” Nickname: Ernie
- Ethan: Hebrew, “strong,” “safe,” “firm”
- Francis: Latin, “French.” Nickname: Frank, Frankie
- Frederick: Teutonic, “peace.” Nickname: Fred, Freddie
- Gabriel: Hebrew, “devoted to God,” “a hero of God,” “God is my strength.” Nickname: Gabe
- Geoffrey: English, “heavenly place.” Nickname: Geoff
- George: Greek, “tiller of the soil,” “farmer.” Nickname: Georgie
- Henry: German, “ruler of the household”
- Ian: Scottish, “God is gracious”
- Jack: English, a nickname for John or James
- Jacob: Hebrew, “supplanter.” Nickname: Jake
- James: Hebrew, derived from Jacob
- John: Hebrew, “God is gracious.” Nickname: Johnny
- Jonathan: Hebrew, “God gives.” Nickname: John, Johnny
- Joseph: Hebrew, “God shall add another son.” Nickname: Joe
- Julian: Latin, “bearded,” “father of the skies”
- Kenneth: Gaelic, “handsome.” Nickname: Ken, Kenny
- Lucas: Latin, “light-giving,” “illumination.” Nickname: Luke
- Liam: Irish, “strong-willed warrior and protector”
- Mark: Latin, “warlike”
- Matthew: Hebrew, “gift from God.” Nickname: Matt
- Michael: Hebrew, “who is like God.” Nickname: Mike
- Nathan: Hebrew, “He gave”
- Nicholas: Greek, “victory of the people.” Nickname: Nick
- Noah: Hebrew, “rest and comfort”
- Oliver: Latin, “olive tree.” Nickname: Ollie
- Patrick: Latin, “nobleman.” Nickname: Pat
- Paul: Latin, “small”
- Peter: Greek, “a rock.” Nickname: Pete
- Phillip: Greek, “loving”
- Raymond: English, “mighty protector.” Nickname: Ray
- Richard: German, “strong ruler.” Nickname: Rich
- Robert: English, “bright fame.” Nickname: Rob
- Sebastian: Latin, “venerable,” “revered”
- Thomas: Hebrew, “a twin.” Nickname: Tom, Tommy
- Timothy: Greek, “honoring God.” Nickname: Tim, Timmy
- Vincent: Latin, “conqueror,” “victor.” Nickname: Vinnie
- William: German, “strong-willed warrior.” Nickname: Will
- Wyatt: Old English, “wood,” “wide”
Pregnancy To-Do List
Picking male baby names is just one of the many tasks you need to do during pregnancy. My printable checklist includes tasks you don’t always read about online or from other resources. The kinds of tasks you might easily overlook or never think to do but that are crucial for a smooth pregnancy.
Download my printable checklist below—at no cost to you! You’ll also get my newsletters, which parents say they LOVE:
“You words are encouraging. Thank you for serving me and many other mommas through your writing.” -Allison R.
And take a look at the video below where I share 4 things to consider before finalizing your baby’s name:
My husband and I finally chose their names, suggesting one after another until the final ones emerged victorious above the rest. We checked how the initials would look and made sure they felt comfortable saying over and over.
After all, these are the names your child will carry with him the rest of his life. With this list of classic baby names for boys, you’ll also know they’ll stand the test of time.
Get more tips:
- The Ultimate Newborn Shopping List for Expecting Moms
- Need a List of Old Fashioned Boy Names to Choose From? Our Top Picks
- What Are the Signs to Stop Working During Pregnancy?
- 50 Unusual Old Fashioned Names That Won’t Go Out of Style
- Top Gifts for Expectant Dads That Are Cool
Source of meanings: Baby Center
Feeling overwhelmed with everything you still have to do to get ready for the baby? Grab my Baby Prep Workbook, a comprehensive collection of checklists and templates you won’t find anywhere else.
The workbook has already helped hundreds of expecting moms like you be better prepared during pregnancy. Imagine how you’re going to feel when you can save yourself a ton of time (and stress!) and avoid scrambling around last minute or missing important deadlines and tasks.
Don’t wait any longer—grab your copy of the Baby Prep Workbook before the baby arrives: